[CANUFNET] Measuring tree cover from aerial photos

Ian Wilson IWilson at kelowna.ca
Fri Mar 7 10:44:21 EST 2008

Hi, we recently completed a UFORE analysis for our city, using ground
plot measurements.

We want to follow up and do an aerial photo analysis and see how the
tree cover measurements compare between the aerial photos and UFORE
plots.  I was speaking with Dr. David Nowak about this recently, he
suggested that we try the "Aerial photo interpretation tool" that is on
the USFS website, at   http://www.fs.fed.us/ne/syracuse/Tools/tools.htm

However, this tool uses ArcView 3.2 which is quite old, we don't use
that software anymore.  Has anybody developed a newer tool to do this,
or a similar methodology that they could send to me?

thanks, Ian

Ian Wilson, RPF, Certified Arborist
Urban Forestry Supervisor
City of Kelowna