[CANUFNET] Boulevard Plantings

Ward, Greg GAWard at surrey.ca
Thu Mar 27 10:41:26 EDT 2008

Hello all,
    Do you plant trees where residents request them not to be?  Do you only plant where residents are receptive and skip those that are not?
        When planting adjacent to residential property, where there is a need to develop a partnership with the resident (eg. they water and rake leaves, we prune, they won't vandalize etc.) we learned it is best to not plant a tree if they object.  Of course, we try to be persuasive in encouraging them to accept the tree, however, if they are adamant we move on.  Since Canadians moves every 4.3 years we are hopeful the next home owners will call to request a tree.

    Do you conduct a survey of an area and plant if a certain % of affirmative is reached?
        We do not survey, as mentioned above we will distribute a notice to each resident, we will plant if a minority wish a tree.  One tree is better than none.

    What about planting on municipal property with no boulevard strip directly in front of residents home?

        We will plant regardless of presence of boulevard strip (area between sidewalk and road) as long as there is adequate room on the road allowance for the tree to grow.  There are pros and cons to each planting situation, the boulevard strip tends to define the area as City boulevard which seems to give us more 'right' to plant the tree. It separates the home owner from the tree, however, and tends to reduce their commitment to watering the tree.

      We inform the residents a tree will be planted via a notice to the residents well before undertaking the planting of the tree.  Although this makes for a little more work we find that it gives some the opportunity to vent a little.  Coming in cold turkey, digging up the lawn etc. sometimes encourages a reaction, a 'why were we not informed' stance whereby it is then more difficult to get some on board with the idea of a tree.

       Our experience in suburban large lot areas that will densify in the future is that the boulevard trees are often difficult to retain once densification occurs.  The resulting road realignments etc. often dictate boulevard tree removal, particularly if the trees are relatively young, <20 years old.

        Perhaps in the case below you could involve the residents in making some choices about the tree variety and its location, all within some parameters that you set out.  This often helps them feel they have what they believe to be necessary, some input into how their property and neighbourhood will look.

best of luck,

Greg Ward
Manager, Urban Forestry and Environmental Programs
City of Surrey, B.C.
604 501 5170

'Nature matters,
protect, enhance, enjoy'