[CANUFNET] Boulevard Plantings

Ward, Greg GAWard at surrey.ca
Fri Mar 28 10:56:43 EDT 2008

Hi all,
    Indeed, it seems the space for trees on individual lots is shrinking with the move toward densification.  Densification, of course, is aimed at reducing overall environmental impacts, or individual ecological footprints, through the ability, for instance, to provide for effective public transit (more potential users per square kilometre), less energy consumption per residential unit etc.

    Perhaps, as urban foresters wanting to participate in the urban planning process, we need to inform ourselves as to the environmental values that planners, engineers and others believe occur with densification and then be able to articulate the potential impacts to the urban forest for their consideration.  And particularly the impacts to the potential, or lack thereof, future urban forest that could occur through new tree planting in these newly built out areas.

    In order to articulate the impacts to the urban forest perhaps we need to emphasize an end goal, perhaps a tree canopy cover standard, that can be measured.  Also, perhaps we need to be knowledgeable about the real space requirements to provide for healthy trees and articulate these in standards, specifications, plans, and planning discussions with other stakeholders.   How many of us regularly affirm and assert the standard soil requirements of a tree as expressed in cubic meters, something that engineers can often nod an understanding to since it is measurable.  Do we realistically describe the root crown area requirement in terms of square meters or canopy size requirement in terms of height and breadth?  Are they in technical documents similar to the Engineering Standards documents that most towns and cities have.

    Perhaps a worthy research project would be to measure, or realistically project, the tree canopy cover in the different residential zones (RF7, RF9 etc), and break it down to private and public property contribution.

   I advocate as often as possible the need to provide adequate and realistic space for large canopy public property trees and forests as they represent the best case scenario for providing for urban green infrastructure that will be beneficial to all.

Greg Ward
Manager, Urban Forestry and Environmental Programs
City of Surrey, B.C.
604 501 5170

'Nature matters,
protect, enhance, enjoy'