[CANUFNET] Hazard Tree Removal Signage

Listar, Ivan ilistar at london.ca
Tue Jul 22 14:08:09 EDT 2008

A notice is written at the time the tree is inspected and determined
that it needs to be removed.  Our policy is to provide notice to all
homeowners on the same side of the street and within 30 m. of the tree
to be removed.    Those on the other side of the street are not
notified.  This is a compromise to inform the neighbourhood while
reducing the number of notices that need to be delivered.

There is no proposed removal date on the notice.  A Work Order is issued
and the tree takes its quay along with the other trees waiting removal.
Obviously, if there is immediate or imminent risk of failure it is moved
up the priority list.

Our Work Order system is computerized so we can see at any given time
how many and which Work Orders are outstanding.

As we have limited staff and budget, it may take up to a year for some
of the trees to be removed from the time it has been inspected.

We also have certain trees under surveillance in case they begin to
deteriorate faster than expected.

We do get callbacks from residents where it has taken a long time to
remove trees and we will reevaluate those trees and reprioritize as
required.

We get both positive and negative feedback on removals from "cut the
other trees too" to "if you cut the tree, we will take the City to
court".  These concerns are to be expected as trees care an emotional
issue.

We have worked closely with our Risk Management department and they are
aware of the issues with our tree removal process.  They have been
supportive of our tree maintenance program when dealing with claims due
to tree failure.

Ivan Listar, R.P.F.
Urban Forester, City of London
A.J. Tyler Operations Centre