[CANUFNET] Caliper stock mortality

Peter Murray pmurray5 at cogeco.ca
Thu Jul 24 11:25:03 EDT 2008

Hello;   I need some answers after the fact:    Our small community ordered 25 caliper size (50-75mm), root ball in wire basket.  sugar maple, red oak and basswood last fall for Oct planting.  A combination of problems capped by an early snow fall and freeze forced the town to overwinter 16 trees. We , (forestree advisory committee) suggested storing them upright and covering the root balls with mulch. Lots of snow and thaw, and this spring 5 were planted in late April. The remaining 11 were not planted till late May. The basswood had flushed but the maple and oak appeared dormant,but we guesstimated to be still alive. None of them flushed or if a few leaves came out, they died.   The fall plantings all are thriving. The early spring plantings are weak and several I think are gone. Question: What should we have done to overwinter these trees?  Any comments?  Thanks Peter Murray  RPF Rtd.