[CANUFNET] Volcano Mulch

Sheila Flint flint at strathcona.ab.ca
Wed Sep 3 13:50:45 EDT 2008

Don't get me going on this one. I cannot believe how often I see this
happen in our community. I think these companies feel they have to
'tuck' the trees in for some reason. No amount of my explaining the
error of their ways seems to work.
There is a landscape company in our area that maintains a condominium
site with trees on our right of way. I have gone so far as to refuse to
maintain the trees because of their actions regarding mounding soil and
mulch about 3 feet up the trunk of the trees.
I have never even seen an 'old time' book that showed this method of
mulching.....
Where is this coming from????

Sheila Flint
Chair
2008 Canadian Urban Forest Conference
Strathcona County
780-464-8482
780-893-5829
www.cufc8.ca
"You can judge the health of your community by the health of your urban
forest" - Jim Skiera

>>> "Mark Peterson" <mpa at golden.net> 09/02/08 10:28 AM >>>
You know, I have always wondered why this happens also. To me the
frequency is astounding.
When out walking I have even pulled away the mulch from around the
trunk and the next time I go by it is right back mounded up the trunk.
One of the largest landscape maintenance companies in south-central
Ontario does this. One would think that they, of all people, should know
not to do this. Monkey see - Monkey do!

Mark Peterson, BES, MLArch, OALA
Mark Peterson & Associates, Landscape Architect
(519)743-2990        www.openspacesolutions.com