[CANUFNET] Removal of trees for replacement of water lines

Jane Baile jbaile at mapleridge.ca
Mon Dec 1 11:45:10 EST 2008

I think this hits the nail on the head.  I organized a presentation for the superintendents and foremen from Engineering at City hall who plan the work and these from Operations who implement it.  Mike James did James Urban's presentation which many of us have on CD from his presentation in Victoria.  My purpose in doing this was to get them all in one room and answer their concerns and questions.  I had 12 people and they learned a little about why we value trees and all discussed how soil cells and other alternative ways to plan trees into the infrastructure.  No one method works in all situations.  We have to take a problem solving approach and address the concerns, questions and cost comparisons over time.  I learned that replacing concrete sidewalk panels cost (ballpark) $3000. I had thought the cost of soil cells or structural soil would be prohibitive in their minds but compared to replacing sidewalks it makes sense to plan for a proper medium for trees to grow in and you won't have sidewalk problems.
Anyway, budgets are very real concern.  We all answer to the taxpayer and we have to have a good business case including of course the rather objective value of trees.
 It was a successful meeting.  There are some progressive thinkers who are trying to make changes in how we integrate trees into development.
We move forward inch by inch.

Jane Baile
Parks Dept. Supervisor

District of Maple Ridge
11995 Haney Place, Maple Ridge, BC  V2X 6A9
Tel:  604-467-7346   Fax:  604-467-7393
www.mapleridge.ca<blocked::blocked::http://www.mapleridge.ca/>

Deep Roots
Greater Heights