[CANUFNET] alternative stormwater infrastructure

Mark Peterson mpa at golden.net
Mon Dec 1 16:09:34 EST 2008

In answer to JP Warren's question about alternative SWM infrastructure:
In my opinion, the best SWM initiative is to mandate that any SWM ponds (new
and existing) should be required to be planted with native trees and shrubs.
This would increase urban forest by creating mini woodlots - more
ecologically effective than individual street trees. Storm water
infrastructure is only one piece of the services needed along any street.
Storm pipes also carry away rain fall on the street itself, not just rooftop
drainage. One must remember water mains, gas mains, and assorted buried
cables. By eliminating storm pipes alone does not entirely solve the
utility/tree conflict.
Mark Peterson

Mark Peterson, BES, MLArch, OALA
Mark Peterson & Associates, Landscape Architect
(519)743-2990        www.openspacesolutions.com

Land Uses, Neighborhood Satisfaction and the Urban Forest
New approaches to urban design have included community retail land uses
within walking distances of residential neighborhoods as a means to reduce
suburbia's dependence on vehicles. Commercial development however, can have
negative impacts on neighbourhood satisfaction due to increased traffic,
garbage and noise etc. Studies have shown that when extensive tree and shrub
cover is provided (the urban forest) within residential areas, in particular
those adjacent to retail land uses, neighbourhood satisfaction increases.
Perhaps development regulations should provide for more urban forest.