[CANUFNET] Urban Tree Species Selection

Fisher, Brian Brian.Fisher at bchydro.com
Wed Dec 3 12:31:25 EST 2008

I have a copy of an old manual - (1993)
Called  STREET TREE FACTSHEETS
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 92.72203
ISBN 1-883956.00.5
Published by Penn State  - College of Agricultural Sciences
with support of USDA , Penn Dept.of Env. Res (Bureau of Forestry)
Pennsylvania Electric Energy Research Council
and Pennsylvania Nurserymen's Association.

It has very good information on more than 200 species & cultivars and
would merit some updating if someone wanted to pursue that.

I am also finding that at least in our area, there seems to be an
increasing pressure for
Native trees from various ad hoc groups. While I certainly want to avoid
true invasives, I think that the approach is often
dogmatic and offers little that is truly helpful.
In a Province where more than half a billion (Yes that's a B) native
pines (95% of the pines in the province) have been
killed by Mountain Pine Beetle, I think we need to be looking at
importing new species, not insisting on natives.
Regards,
Brian