[CANUFNET] FW: CANUFNET Digest, Vol 49, Issue 3 Re 1. Re: Urban Tree Species Selection (Fisher, Brian)

Fisher, Brian Brian.Fisher at bchydro.com
Thu Dec 4 17:19:32 EST 2008

A well-written defence, although I'm not sure why.
When I get letters from an official representing an "Invasive Plant
Council" saying that "ANY Non-native planting is
promoting invasives" I see it as dogmatic.
>From my perspective, a bad experience with one imported species
(probably without much supporting research)
shouldn't be a reason to throw out the whole suite of other choices.
I am certainly not opposed to planting native species.  I do, however,
think the "natives only" is a bit overdone.
Our nursery sciences have advanced a long way since some of our
pioneering bad experiences.
No we don't want invasives taking over, but diversity also has its
merits, particularly in areas where climate
change is making the environment less hospitable to natives.
We have more information now than we used to. We have strong imports (no
longer really "exotics") which enhance
the liveability of our communities, do not hamper native growth and are
sometimes less susceptible to insects and disease.
Imports or exotics may be appropriate in some areas particularly where
there are significant environmental changes happening.
It is, in my opinion, a bit of an overstatement to suggest that any
planting of a non-native anywhere is an experiment.
In many cases, we have long term background and experience to support
those choices.
Lastly, support for the wise selection of BAM within the urban
landscape, at least from me, does not eliminate the consideration
of appropriate natives.  I did not suggest that support for native
species was dogmatic. I did imply that the attacking of any other
choice except a native was dogmatic.
Now if we can just get those Lombardi poplars onto the noxious weed list
Brian