[CANUFNET] Contract Growing of Street Tree supply

Dean Sheppard rdsheppard at rogers.com
Fri Apr 17 09:09:53 EDT 2009

Hello All,

Related to the municipal tree farm discussion, I am wondering which municipalities engage in CONTRACT GROWING to specify and secure some or all of their street tree supply.

Our working supposition is that contract growing would ensure availability of some species which are hard or impossible to secure commercially and that the contract price for other species may be an advantage over the open seasonal market.

Any and all positive or negative experiences with this technique are of interest.

Many thanks!!
Dean Sheppard
volunteer member of City of London Trees and Forest Advisory Committee