[CANUFNET] Tree Information/Management Programs UsedBy Municipalities

Croy, Owen OCCroy at surrey.ca
Wed Jun 24 13:08:41 EDT 2009

The following is an overview of our system used by the City of Surrey, Parks Division, as prepared by Neal Aven (Asset Management Technician):

We use an enterprise asset management software system called Maximo (IBM) to manage our inventory of specimen trees (73,000+ trees) and forested areas (1,460+ hectares).  Maximo is more than flexible enough to allow us to manage work for all of our assets (everything from trees to forests to playgrounds to sport fields to structures to buildings, and on and on).  So, Maximo is ‘canned’ in the sense that it has loads of built-in functionality and not ‘canned’ since many aspects of the database can be defined as needed.

Maximo’s built-in functionality includes:

-          Asset inventory

-          Work order tracking

-          Preventive maintenance

-          Condition monitoring

-          Failure analysis

-          Purchasing

-          Automated workflow

-          Much more...

Our version of Maximo does not have graphical displays for planning, budgeting, forest health, etc... but it is fair to say that, in terms of analysis, we are really only limited by the amount of data we are able to collect and record against each tree or forest area.  For example, we are able to produce reports that allow us to analyse all aspects of our asset inventory and work management such as:

-          Which species have high mortality rates?

-          What age experiences the highest mortality rate?

-          Which geographical area has unusually high mortality rates?

-          How many trees are planted in any given year?

-          What is the average number of trees planted over the last ‘x’ years?

-          What is the pruning history for tree ‘x’?

-          Develop unit costs that are used for budgeting.

-          Forecast the number of trees that are scheduled for pruning next year, the year after...

It is worth noting that we are currently running a very old version of Maximo (v4.1.1) and we will likely be faced with a decision within the next couple of years as to whether or not we continue with Maximo or move to another system such as CityWorks that is used by our Engineering Operations Division.  One of the key reasons that our Engineering Operations chose CityWorks is that CityWorks can be very tightly integrated with our GIS system (ArcGIS).  The latest of version of Maximo is greatly improved in this regard.

From my perspective, Maximo is a very good tool for managing a wide variety of municipal assets.  Maximo can be integrated to GIS data, if desired.  Maximo has a mobile work manager tool that enables field staff to be connected electronically, rather than swamped in paper and tied to the office.  If you are looking for a single tool that can be implemented across the enterprise (park assets, engineering assets, IT assets, Fleet assets, etc...), Maximo is worth a look.

Please contact me if you have any additional questions about our use of Maximo.

Regards,

Neal Aven

Asset Management Technician

City of Surrey, Parks Division