[CANUFNET] Ohio Buckeye, Aesculus glabra, Tree to be used on Public Property and if so how? Fruit toxicity issue

pwynnyczuk at richmondhill.ca pwynnyczuk at richmondhill.ca
Tue Jan 19 07:34:58 EST 2010

A concern was brought my attention respecting the use of this non-native
tree as a  street tree. Attached is the link associated with the
information presented.

1) Is this tree currently part of your inventory and if so, have you had
to address the issue and how?

2) If using this species, have any of the Nurseries you purchased  from
advised you of this fruit toxicity issue?

Our situation is we have recently introduced this tree in our pallette of
street trees and now need some further research on how to reasonably
address the issue.
Please advise on this matter as it may have implications beyond the
purchase and planting of the trees, as it  could affect Growers and
Nurseries.
Regards,
Peter Wynnyczuk

Urban Forestry Supervisor
Town of Richmond Hill
Parks, Recreation and Culture Department
Telephone:  905 780-2930
Fax:  905 884-0935
Internet: pwynnyczuk at richmondhill.ca