[CANUFNET] Black knot problems in Edmonton

SVescio at thunderbay.ca SVescio at thunderbay.ca
Thu Feb 11 15:38:49 EST 2010

We completely eliminated Schubert chokecherry from our planting list.  We
found that the disease, which had once been relatively manageable, got
worse over the years (for some reason) and we couldn't keep up with
pruning.   We started a species replacement program and continue to remove
and replace trees as warranted.   It's odd because for years I observed
trees loaded with black knot that continued to blossom and stay very
green, but in the last few years they have finally started to succumb and
die.

Shelley Vescio RPF
City of Thunder Bay

Trevor Thistle <Trevor.Thistle at edmonton.ca>
Sent by: canufnet-bounces at list.web.net
10/02/2010 03:41 PM
Please respond to
Canadian Urban Forest Network <canufnet at list.web.net>

"'canufnet at list.web.net'" <canufnet at list.web.net>
cc
Kim Bendle <Kim.Bendle at edmonton.ca>, Costigan <Doug.Costigan at edmonton.ca>,
Marshall Mithrush <Marshall.Mithrush at edmonton.ca>, Travis Kennedy
<Travis.Kennedy at edmonton.ca>, Rogers <Megan.Rogers at edmonton.ca>, Prutton
<Norm.Prutton at edmonton.ca>, Megan, Dan Chouinard
<Dan.Chouinard at edmonton.ca>, Mark Wartenbe <Mark.Wartenbe at edmonton.ca>,
Bonnie Fermanuik <Bonnie.Fermanuik at edmonton.ca>, Norm, Suzana Bodnar
<Suzana.Bodnar at edmonton.ca>, Doug, John Helder <John.Helder at edmonton.ca>,
Bev Minsky <Bev.Minsky at edmonton.ca>, Guy Nighbor <Guy.Nighbor at edmonton.ca>
Subject
[CANUFNET] Black knot problems in Edmonton

To Whom It May Concern:

For the past few years the City of Edmonton has been experiencing an
outbreak of black knot (Apiosporina morbosa). Edmonton’s urban forestry
unit, River Valley Forestry and Environmental Services (RVFES) has been
responding by pruning out the visible fruiting bodies, and by removing
trees that are beyond saving. However, if we continue these practices we
will eventually end up removing thousands of our valuable ornamental trees
of the genus Prunus. So, we are asking other municipalities about their
experience with this fungal pathogen and what steps they have taken to
battle black knot. RVFES would greatly appreciate if you could aid us in
our fight against black knot by taking the time to answer the following
questions.

Does your region have problems with black knot? If so do you have a
campaign or strategy for combating it? If yes, how do you communicate your
strategy to the public, and what do you do to encourage citizens to take
care of black knot on their own trees?
If your municipality does treat for black knot, what treatments were and
were not successful?
How serious is black knot mortality in your municipality?
Aside from Amur cherry, do you know of any black knot resistant varieties?
Have you had success with any of these varieties?
How does your municipality dispose of infected material?
Has your municipality tried or had any success with the biological control
agent, Trichothecium roseum (fungal parasite)?

Thank you for you time,

Trevor Thistle B.Sc. (Forestry)
Urban Forester & ISA Certified Arborist
The City of Edmonton, Asset Management and Public Works
River Valley Forestry and Environmental Services
Email: trevor.thistle at edmonton.ca
Ph: (780) 944-7833
Fax: (780) 496-4978

The information transmitted by electronic communication is intended
only for
the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
confidential
and/or privileged material. The sender does not waive any related
rights or
obligations. Any review, re-transmission, dissemination or other
use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon this information, by persons
or entities
other than the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you received
this in
error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer