[CANUFNET] Black knot problems in Edmonton

pwynnyczuk at richmondhill.ca pwynnyczuk at richmondhill.ca
Thu Feb 11 10:44:10 EST 2010

Quick note,
Many years ago I attended a meeting at a large reputable nursery  in
Ontario,  and they indicated that part of the problem of black knot
persistence  is the root stock.
I'm not an expert on growing,  this should be validated elsewhere,  but I
sensed where the root stock is not Black Knot resistant and the top graft
is, in some cases over time the root stock dominates leading to the
reduction in resistance to the disease, infection from other sources
occurs and the disease continues to spread.
As I understand most varieties are grafted, therefore growing industry
quality control is the issue,

In Richmond Hill over the last 25 years, we experienced rapid population
growth, and therefore tree plantings to match. We had  experimented with a
couple of  Cherry varieties on a few streets.  Prunus padus (Developer
Consultant suggestion back in the 1980's, 1 street planted and
subsequently replaced with other species), and  Schubert Choke Cherry.
We follow the appropriate control measures annually or semi annually but
are finding  we  are  slowly replacing our Cherry trees once they reach a
level of disease impact.  Criteria, basically disfigured, or structural
issues.

Some residents are already sensitized by the almost annual Tent
caterpillar event and subsequent  larvae with their webs, crawling on the
driveways, and cocoon attachments they make on the exterior of their
homes.

Based on the above we are migrating other flowering species or alternative
species over time.

Regards,
Peter Wynnyczuk

Urban Forestry Supervisor
Town of Richmond Hill
Parks, Recreation and Culture Department
Telephone:  905 780-2930
Fax:  905 884-0935
Internet: pwynnyczuk at richmondhill.ca