[CANUFNET] hybrid poplar tree hazard

Listar, Ivan ilistar at london.ca
Wed Jun 16 12:12:28 EDT 2010

We just added Paulownia (aka Empress tree, Princess tree) and buckthorn
species to our list of prohibited species on City property this spring
because of their characteristics.   There are people who want to
establish the Empress tree in southern Ontario and buckthorn is an
invasive species.  Our Boulevard Tree Protection By-law allows us to
remove prohibited species from City property without notification to the
adjacent residents.  We have other prohibited species as well.
Unfortunately we do not have a private tree by-law to keep them from
getting established on private property.  Our Property Standards by-law
is used to enforce the removal of trees, regardless of species, once
they become a hazard.

Ivan Listar, R.P.F.
Urban Forester, City of London
A.J. Tyler Operations Centre