[CANUFNET] Tree wells and weeds

MacDonald, Joanne Joanne.MacDonald at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Thu Jun 17 09:18:30 EDT 2010

Hi Ian,

My apologies for not responding sooner but I have been away from the
office sampling.

Thank you for letting me know that I did not fully explain myself.
VOCs, ozone, and the policies surrounding it are difficult to explain in
an email but here goes.

Have you noticed the push towards products that don't reduce air quality
(both indoor, which eventually gets outdoor, and outdoor)?

For example, visit the Benjamin Moore website to see the no VOC
products. Here is a link:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/bmpsweb/portals/bmps.portal;jsessionid=hpZ4
MhdFRdvC3GvhXngzkvPvMklscJKL3S1LVpbXNXT1vTvTQGy5!-1012232066?_nfpb=true&
_pageLabel=fh_mm_hiddenPage&np=public_site%2Fapplications%2Fmultimedia%2
Fnatura

The cost of the research to develop these products is being driven by
air quality issues in the US, particularly in southern California. You
likely have seen mention of that area in the LEED certification?

Why?
In the US, when ground level ozone (created by nitrogen oxides in the
presence sunlight and VOCs, which act as an enzyme to drive the
photochemical reaction) exceed a certain threshold in a given region,
federal funding to that region is cut. (I am Canadian Co-Chair of the US
Northeast Region Air Quality Committee.)

Thus, the push to reduce VOCs in paints, stains, building products and
their LEED certification for air quality is driven by a need to limit
the VOCs that catalyzes ground-level ozone formation. It is my
understanding that scented personal and laundry care products will be
next.

Canada continues to develop its clean air legislation.

For example, here is a link to the announcement of legislation that will
limit VOC levels in automotive refinishing products:

http://www.ec.gc.ca/default.asp?lang=En&n=714D9AAE-1&news=D388EF18-D3A8-
4226-BD23-FB0F3434973B

Here is a quote from that release:

 "The Government of Canada is serious about cleaning up the air to
protect the environment and health of Canadians, "said Canada's
Environment Minister, Jim Prentice. "This is one of a series of
regulations we are putting in place to reduce VOC emissions from
everyday consumer and commercial products."

I trust that the policy makers at the US Environmental Protection Agency
and Environment Canada know what is critical.

I work on the response of trees and forests to ozone. Have a look at the
research that came out of Aspen FACE in Wisconsin, where I was an
investigator.

http://aspenface.mtu.edu/investigators.htm

If you were at the urban forestry meeting in Quebec, have a look at the
abstract of the paper on a proposed study of ozone and urban forest
trees, which a group of us at the Atlantic Forestry Centre worked on for
three years to bring it to life. The lead author was Percy. We developed
this project in consultation with 14 Canadian cities from Vancouver to
St. John's.

Because of what I have learned from my research, I personally make every
effort to reduce my VOC footprint.

A garden centre in Fredericton brought in the recycled tire,
clay-coloured mulch several years ago, few bought it because of the
odour. I could smell it across the parking lot. It is no longer
available here.

I agree something has to be done with tires. Perhaps the next phase is
to render the product free of VOCs.

If you or anyone else needs a further explanation or a clarification
about ozone and trees, please contact me at 506 458-0113.

Best regards,

Joanne