[CANUFNET] green ash decline

jmccready jmccready at cyberus.ca
Wed Jun 30 20:06:55 EDT 2010

The Regional Forest Network in Eastern Ontario has been having ash decline in our region for a number of years. .The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources is pointing to stress in the trees most likely from a few hot dry summers we had a few years back. The complication we have is the Emerald Ash Borer in Ottawa, thus the Candian Food Inspection agency is going to start doing some assessment of these areas which has ash decline.No EAB has been found outside of urban Ottawa.
    In Carleton Place where I live and  am the resident arborist we have taken down some affected ash but found no signs of EAB . These trees were hit hard in the ice storm of 1998, have been attcked by vagabond aphids and have gone through those droughty periods.We are ruling it to these stresses but realy do not know the exact cause of this decline in Eastern Ontario, West Quebec.We are still looking at the situation we have.

Jim McCready R.P.F
Chair
Regional Forest Health Network