[CANUFNET] green ash decline

Vince Rutter vince at rutterurbanforestry.ca
Tue Jun 29 21:25:45 EDT 2010

In Thunder Bay we share a prairie climate (sort of) but our green ash are
thriving right now.  I have noticed a few white ash that for the past 10
years at least have grown exceptionally well but this year have died back
drastically.

If you look at the native range of green ash, it extends this far but not to
the alberta Prairies.  Likewise the white ash ranges not quite to here.  I
think Stephen is right on in thinking that this is the climate (sans global
warming) keeping species distribution in check.

Vince Rutter, RPF
Rutter Urban Forestry
Thunder Bay, Ontario

--