[CANUFNET] green ash decline

David Stevenson dcistevenson at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 18 11:15:39 EDT 2010

Vince (hello again!): Green Ash is native here in the Prairies (at least as far
as Saskatchewan) so the range map may be a bit out. What Jeff and others are
referring to is a dieback event that has affected green ash (but interestingly
not red ash at least here in Prince Albert). The consensus of the SK Forest
Service (myself and John Thompson) is that it is related to the exceptionally
warm weather in late October 2009 (25C and more in places) followed by the
exceptionally cold snap in early November 2009 (-30C or less). We think that the
cambium did not have a shot at shutting down for the winter and got frozen. The
result has been winter dieback affecting the crown of green ash in the city.
(Daylilies and spirea were also widely affected here in PA).

The trees are showing evidence of epicormic branching where the dieback has
occurred and some trees have undergone a secondary flush of at least part of
their crowns. Tough year to be an ash tree! I suspect most will survive but they
will have to reform their crowns from remaining live branches which will take a
few years and will look goofy but is better (and cheaper) than cutting them down
and starting afresh.

Cheers,

David Stevenson, RFP
Forest Renewal Expert,