[CANUFNET] Planting strategies?

Brad Doff braddoff at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 14:15:10 EDT 2010

Hi All,
I'm a Master's urban forest researcher looking to connect with city
Foresters and municipalities who use proactive planting strategies to
accomplish a specific management need.  In other words, does your
municipality have management needs/objectives that influences where you
plant a portion of your trees each year?  For instance, some cities are
currently removing stormwater facilities/infrastructure and planting a large
portion of their budgeted trees in areas that ameliorate stormwater
management costs.  Some cities use canopy cover studies to indicate where
they should be planting.  Some allocate many young trees to high ash
(Fraxinus) areas preparing for EAB fallout.  However, some cities plant at
random or by request only.

If you have a planting strategy, I'm interested in the management
objective(s) that drive you to allocate a significant amount of trees to one
area over another. Anything goes!

Many thanks in advance.

Bradley Doff
Lakehead University