[CANUFNET] Planting conifers in the fall

For Trees trees at fortrees.ca
Thu Sep 16 11:03:36 EDT 2010

Hi Terri,

I have been planting conifers in the fall for close to thirty years in west
central Alberta, and it is  a fine time to plant, right up until freeze up.

When winterkill and wind damage has affected newly planted conifers, often
spring planted and trees planted within the past few years are affected too.
Factors influencing survival come strongly into play: whether the trees were
harvested with a sufficiently large rootball, whether good quality soil in
the planting site is available, whether sufficient rooting volume of soil is
available, whether slow release fertilizer was applied at planting time or
the use of a mycorrhizal innoculant, whether wirebaskets were cut away,
whether sufficient water was given up until freeze-up, and, of course,
mulch, mulch, mulch.

Planting earlier in the fall season will often result in better success,
too, with more time for them to establish before freeze-up.

Good-luck, and happy planting.

TC_logo_EnglishForTreeslogocolour

Gerard Fournier

Board Certified Master Arborist #PR-0130BT

Tree Canada Community Advisor- Alberta

President

For Trees Company Ltd.

1-877-390-TREE (toll-free)