[CANUFNET] To Mulch or Not To Mulch

Jack Radecki jackandali at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 30 17:29:03 EDT 2011

These new findings contradict my 35 years of experience in the field and
monitoring tree growth throughout. Perhaps  they are talking about mulch
volcanoes or excess mulch over the root zone. I have only seen the benefits
and the proof is the resuts that I have seen over many years.

Ask yourself the questions about how organic matter is replenished in a
forest? Trees "feed" themselves from their own litter. Without the mulch you
put the tree into an inorganic, inert world and prone to the many problems
that we are aware of, drought obviously is the main killer of young trees.

Jack Radecki Registered Consulting Arborist 342