[CANUFNET] Urban Forest Exhibit - Artefacts Wanted

Joanna Dean jdean at magma.ca
Mon Jun 27 19:39:13 EDT 2011

Artefacts Wanted for Urban Forest History Exhibit

We are preparing a museum exhibit on the history of Ottawa's urban forest for the Bytown Museum in Ottawa to open January 2012.    We're looking for artefacts to help us to tell the story of city trees:  photos, photographs, maps, tree sections, etc.

In particular, we are looking for arboriculture tools -- climbing equipment, saws, spray guns, old DDT bottles, etc. used from 1900 through about 1970.  Our preference would be tools used in Ottawa, or eastern Ontario, though these may not be easy to find, and we are looking for tools used on city trees, not forestry equipment.  The point is to show visitors how the urban forest has been managed and maintained over the years.

Any tips would be very welcome,

thanks

Joanna Dean, Associate Professor, History, Carleton University,
Email: joanna_dean at carleton.ca

William Knight, Doctoral Candidate, History, Carleton University
Email: wknight at connect.carleton.ca