[CANUFNET] CANUFNET Digest, Vol 82, Issue 14

Koskinen, Jennifer Jennifer.Koskinen at stantec.com
Mon Nov 28 14:10:28 EST 2011

RE. roots causing damage to gas and oil pipelines;

The pipe area adjacent to the trees should be hydrovaced to inspect where the roots are.  If roots are growing around the pipe perhaps they can be pruned back and a root barrier installed to prevent roots from growing back towards the pipe; this should only be completed if you are not leaving the tree unstable or removing a large % of the root system that would impact health.  IF you are compromising the stability of health of the trees those would be the ones to remove.

Jennifer Koskinen, HBESfcon
ISA Certified Arborist ON-1234A