[CANUFNET] Fwd: Roots causing damage to Gas and Oil pipelines

Mead, Mark Mark.Mead at seattle.gov
Mon Nov 28 15:37:53 EST 2011

Ray, I would concur. WE have somewhat similar issues with clay sewer lines. The root incursion occurs after the clay has fractured due to soil movement and age, not because of root pressure.
I would be curious to see what level of chemical breakdown occurs due to root proximity at a micro ecological level, most of the coatings are fairly toxic, however, maybe this is a new wave of investigation.