[CANUFNET] Municipal tree ownership/responsibility

Julian Dunster jadunster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 10:43:42 EST 2011

What this tells you is that there is an ongoing tension between two
conflicting areas of law. One the one hand.  it is legal to trim back
branches and roots to the property line. On the other hand, if the tree
straddles the boundary line, in theory each landowner is supposed to be
involved in any decisions affecting the tree. Perhaps one of the reasons
that the courts have not awarded more realistic damages is that the
testifying experts have not always presented a rational case supporting
the claims made. Soome claims I have seen are hyper inflated, probably
as a means of giving the client a high starting point for negotiation.
That is not a part of appraisals, but by adopting that approach, the
courts may well sense the claim is invalid. Or, it could still be that
the Courts simply do not believe trees have that much value, especially
in more rural areas where ecosystem benefits are less readily quantified.

In all cases, if a municipality is involved in joint ownership issues,
it would, in my opinion, be extrememely wise to have a) a written
policy, publicly available (and legally defensible) that states how such
trees will be managed, and b) a written process outlining how the other
affected party will be contacted when management work is needed on
municipal lands.

Some of these issues are covered in the book/Arboriculture and the Law
in Canada/.

On Behalf of Dunster and Associates Environmental Consultants Ltd.

Dr. Julian A Dunster R.P.F., M.C.I.P., ISA Certified Arborist,
ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist # 378,
PNWISA Certified Tree Risk Assessor # 1.

www.dunster.ca