[CANUFNET] Municipal tree ownership/responsibility

Philip van Wassenaer pwassenaer1022 at rogers.com
Wed Dec 21 11:59:39 EST 2011

What is that partial answer? To me the Forestry Act could only help for a removal of a boundary tree…how do we define injury and if we can, how do we define the loss to one owner when the other owner commits the offending act? They both have rights to the tree.

Based on Alex’s comments our research and discussion we have had with Dianne Saxe, the act is rarely enforced and if it is, compensation never seems to amount to much. What we need is precedent setting case somewhere that recognizes that “trees have standing” and upholds the rights of a tree owner to not have their property destroyed by something that only benefits their neighbour….

Maybe you can explain a little more Stephen how you have used the act in practice, or the partial answer.

Cheers,

Philip van Wassenaer, B.SC., MFC

1248 Minnewaska Trail

Mississauga, Ontario