[CANUFNET] Municipal tree ownership/responsibility

Gregg Staniforth conservarbre at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 11:31:43 EST 2011

Hi Alex and Philip,

Here in Quebec we apply the civil code, which does not allow any work to be
carried out on a joint owned tree without the consent of the other owner.
Work without consent is considered an infraction and is subject to legal
action (if one chooses to take this path). This applies to aerial as well
as underground tree parts.

>From a municipal perspective let’s say a joint owned tree falls on car. A
surveyor will determine the % ownership of the tree and each owner is
responsible for that % of the claim for the damages.

The means taken by the Quebec government cleared up the notion of managing
co-ownership and has its advantages in terms of ‘protecting trees’ but it
leaves the door open for other ambiguities.

Happy holidays

Gregg Staniforth

City of Montreal