[CANUFNET] defining nuisance trees

mdixon at tbhydro.on.ca mdixon at tbhydro.on.ca
Wed Apr 4 08:51:18 EDT 2012

Hi Brad,

I guess nuisance trees mean a lot of different things to a lot of
different people depending on what side of the fence they're on.

I define nuisance trees as trees that customers deem to be interfering in
their life for whatever reason but ones that they have no desire to pay
anything toward mitigation measures such pruning or removal. Perhaps they
can be better defined as nuisance customer with trees issues (let the
flaming begin).

Many times these trees are neighbours  trees that are perceived as causing
issues. They can also be (in my case) trees along easements or back lanes
that are not on private property but more often or not, City owned
property and may or may not be growing somewhere near an overhead wire
which may or may not be energized. When I do receive these service
requests, I always try to assess the tree for actual hazards and how it
may or may not be causing real concerns but I also try to protect as many
of these trees as possible whenever I can.

I've found that the easiest  and most effective method in dealing with
these trees and the customer complaints (when the tree is not actually an
issue) is to put the financial onus back onto the client.
If the tree is in proximity to an energized source, I'll prune or make the
tree safe for removal but leave all of the debris for the homeowner to
deal with at their cost or tell the homeowner that the tree is far enough
from an the overhead power line to be dealt with by a competent contractor
(I even provide them with names of contractors) which again is all at
their expense. I will also work with a customers contractor to provide an
outage if the impact is practical but the cost of the contractor is the
customers.

It's amazing how many tree "issues" disappear when the mitigation costs
are not covered by the municipality, utility, neighbour or someone else.

I realize that this response is likely not what you expected and that it
most likely would only work for someone in my position and perhaps not
suitable for a Municipal Urban Forester who has to be more politically
adept than I but it does work.

We remove or prune many more trees in the course of the year and get an
unbelievable number of irrational requests for free tree service and this
method has greatly reduced a large number of what the utility would have
responded to rather than focusing on work that was actually beneficial.
Quite frankly it greatly bothers me the great number of private trees get
removed for irrational reasons when you look at the bigger picture outside
of the municipally owned urban forest and this is my little way of trying
to stem the tide.

Cheers

Mike Dixon R.P.F
MTCU Certified Utility Arborist
Forestry Coordinator
Thunder Bay Hydro
(807) 343-1040
(807 251-5774
MDixon at tbhydro.on.ca

It's OK to print this email.
Paper comes from a biodegradable, recyclable, renewable resource - trees.
Making forest products from sustainably managed forests results in jobs
for thousands of people, clean air, clean water, wildlife habitat and
carbon storage.