[CANUFNET] defining nuisance trees

Hennessy, John John.Hennessy at brampton.ca
Mon Apr 2 13:19:22 EDT 2012

Hey Brad,

Can it be pruned to address concern? I  use this as middle ground when possible. Pruning can address some of the  concern, while information, and future intentions can also be used to help address.
I would define a nuisance tree based on, given circumstances for a particular situation, as a "tree that has an undesired outcome".   A nuisance tree, is a nuisance when we don't have the right conversation at the right time. If you have a forestry master plan the answer is tucked inside somewhere! If you do not have one, this can be an opportunity to figure out a general direction your community wants to take with regards to weather trees are a nuisance, or just undervalued and misunderstood. If I one tree can be deemed a "nuisance" there is potential for them all to be called a nuisance in some consideration.
An inspector would visit site, make a professional opinion addressing any potential urban forestry conflict. Anyone who disagrees would take issue up with mgt. team. The decision is usually rather arbitrary, based on a decibel level expressed by residents despite urban forestry efforts to educate. The tree should be protected, as there is no fee/tax to replace removed "nuisance"  trees. Hope there is something helpful in there for you.
John