[CANUFNET] Restricting Tree Height

Netami Stuart nstuart at toronto.ca
Tue Jul 10 10:49:51 EDT 2012

Speaking of short trees in Hydro corridors....

Here in downtown Toronto, open space is at a premium and the city often
licenses hydro corridors for use as parkland or trails. Hydro One
reviews site plans for our parkland proposals and they require that any
tree planted in the corridors be "maximum 4.5 m height at maturity".
This doesn't mean "max. 4.5 m if you prune them diligently".  It means a
naturally short tree: Hawthorn, Crabapples, shrubs.

My questions to the list (especially utility arborists!):
What tree species would be ideal for planting in hydro corridors in
downtown Toronto? I am especially interested in nut trees, since we've
recently had a request for a fruit and nut orchard in a hydro corridor.

Thanks!

Netami Stuart
Landscape Architect
Parks, Forestry & Recreation
55 John Street, 24th floor, M5V 3C6
tel: 416-392-3390

>>> <MDixon at tbhydro.on.ca> 7/9/2012 8:20 am >>>
Would love to see restrictions for maximum height for trees planted
under overhead power lines but it's likely someone who is scared of tall
trees and wind who made the initial call and, I'll bet that they are
senior.

Mike Dixon R.P.F
MTCU Certified Utility Arborist
Forestry Coordinator
Thunder Bay Hydro
(807) 343-1040
(807 251-5774
MDixon at tbhydro.on.ca

It's OK to print this email.
Paper comes from a biodegradable, recyclable, renewable resource -
trees. Making forest products from sustainably managed forests results
in jobs for thousands of people, clean air, clean water, wildlife
habitat and carbon storage.