[CANUFNET] Restricting Tree Height

MDixon at tbhydro.on.ca MDixon at tbhydro.on.ca
Wed Jul 11 08:42:36 EDT 2012

If you are going to be looking at planting trees in Hydro
corridors/right-of-ways, and I think it's a great idea,  you need to
consider the safe limits of approach to those overhead lines.

 Safe limits are determined by the voltage of the those lines and no
portion of the tree or any part of equipment that needs to get into the
tree to maintain should encroach into those safe limits.

I'm going to assume that anyone you send to do work on trees that you've
planted would be an unauthorized worker (unauthorized from the stand point
of the power authority who owns the equipment) so the safe limits would be
(in Ontario, Section 188, Reg 627/05, s7) 750 or more volts but not more
than 150,00, safe limits is 3 meters, 150,000 to not more than 250,000
safe limits is 4.5 meters, more than 250,000 safe limits is 6 meters.

Hydro 1 or any smaller power utility is going to be exempt from any
municipal bylaw that protects trees and at the end of the day
unfortunately the mantra is "clearance before appearance". Often you'll
see some pretty horrific "trimming" attempts by power line arborists to
try and compromise complete removal when they are pressured but keeping
the power on and worker/public safety from electrocution is going to trump
tree preservation any day of the week.

Now having stated that, I just happen to have in front of me an old
easement agreement between a private homeowner and the Hydro Commission of
Ontario which deals with vegetation on ROW.

This document deals with a wood pole transmission line built in the 1940's
but not much has changed. The poles would be 45-50 foot and the
construction would be cross arm. Voltages I believe are 115,000 volts.

"( c ) To keep the said land as described clear of all trees except fruit
trees which shall not exceed twelve feet in height, and to cut or trim
from time to time such trees as the Commission may consider necessary for
the operation and maintenance of the said line and necessary equipment."

That agreement gives the utility the right to access and maintain at their
discretion, all the vegetation on the easement that they determine may
interfere with the safe distribution/transmission of electricity. Small
little paragraph but very powerful.

Keep all of this in mind when you're dealing with power corridors and
Hydro 1, work with their forester and respect the safe limits and you
should have no issues as long as you don't impede access to equipment.
Hydro 1 controls the corridor and what grows on it, you're going to need
their cooperation.

Mike Dixon R.P.F
MTCU Certified Utility Arborist
Forestry Coordinator
Thunder Bay Hydro
(807) 343-1040
(807 251-5774
MDixon at tbhydro.on.ca

It's OK to print this email.
Paper comes from a biodegradable, recyclable, renewable resource - trees.
Making forest products from sustainably managed forests results in jobs
for thousands of people, clean air, clean water, wildlife habitat and
carbon storage.