[CANUFNET] Heritage Tree Removals in the UK. We can help!

Philip van Wassenaer pwassenaer1022 at rogers.com
Wed Jan 15 10:19:59 EST 2014

Canufnet Friends,

The message below was sent to me by my friend and colleague Jeremy Barrell
from the UK. The message concerns the removal of a nationally significant
heritage tree in the UK and the concern that misinformation has been given
to the public as a justification. He is pushing back and needs help from the
tree community. If you have time and feel so inclined, support from Canada
would be very welcome and helpful.

Wishing you all a safe and successful New Year.

Special thanks to Andy K for keeping this service available even after he
has retired!

Cheers,

Philip van Wassenaer, B.SC., MFC

1248 Minnewaska Trail

Mississauga, Ontario

Canada, L5G 3S5

Tel:  (905) 274-1022

Cell: (647) 221-3046

Fax: (905) 274-2170

UFI new logo very small

 <http://www.urbanforestinnovations.com/> www.urbanforestinnovations.com

"Dear Colleague

Just before Christmas, The National Trust cut down one of Britain's most
important heritage trees, a 187 year old cedar of Lebanon planted by the
Duke of Wellington in 1827 at Kingston Lacy House, Dorset (
<http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/kingston-lacy/>
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/kingston-lacy/).  This seems to have been
against the published advice of its independent advisor, but The National
Trust has so far refused to release further information to refute that
point.  However, in support of its position, The Trust has extensively
briefed the press and published a video with information that I regard as
technically incorrect and potentially misleading, to the extent that I am
seeking support from the wider Profession.

In order to provide a more factual, balanced and technically credible
perspective, I have prepared and published a briefing note that can be
accessed at
<http://www.barrelltreecare.co.uk/pdfs/BTC88-BriefingNote-Complete-080114.pd
f>
http://www.barrelltreecare.co.uk/pdfs/BTC88-BriefingNote-Complete-080114.pdf
.  Additionally, I visited the property while the felling was under way and
recorded a video that can be viewed at
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BypBkilAHcI&feature=youtu.be>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BypBkilAHcI&feature=youtu.be.  In both the
briefing note and the video, I mention a National Trust video called The
Cedars of Kingston Lacy that was published the day after The Duke of
Wellington Cedar was felled.  However, that video has now been removed by
The National Trust and is no longer accessible.

Of course, The Duke of Wellington Cedar is no longer standing and nothing
can be done to change that.  Indeed, the intuitive response is that it's too
late now and what more can we do?  Well, the answer is that each of us
individually can make a small gesture of disapproval that could add up to a
big result if enough of us feel moved to participate, and here's how to do
it.

If you have time to view my video, you will see that beneath the playing
screen there is the thumbs-up icon to register if you 'like' it and a
thumbs-down icon to register if you 'dislike' it.  This is a mechanism for
each of us individually to record our approval or disapproval for what we
have seen.  Please note that you will need to be appropriately logged in to
vote.  I invite you to watch the video, form your own views and register
what you think using the 'like' and 'dislike' buttons.

It is very unusual for professional arborists and tree enthusiasts alike to
be able stand together and speak up for trees, so this is a rare opportunity
not to be missed.  If enough of us register our approval/disapproval through
this voting mechanism, then it would send a very powerful message to The
National Trust, but more importantly, to all owners of heritage trees, that
they should think very carefully about the way they manage these unique and
irreplaceable green assets.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope that you will be able
join me in giving heritage trees a voice.  You can keep up to date with
events as they unfold through my Facebook page at
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heritage-Tree-Management/573985506028429>
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heritage-Tree-Management/573985506028429."

It would be just great if we could get a strong response from our Canadian
colleagues.

Thanks again.

Jeremy

T:    01425 651470

E:    <mailto:jeremy at barrelltreecare.co.uk> jeremy at barrelltreecare.co.uk

Why not check out our websites at  <http://www.barrelltreecare.co.uk/>
www.barrelltreecare.co.uk and  <http://www.treeaz.com/> www.TreeAZ.com

cid:image001.jpg at 01CDF307.5CBC7E30

Field House,  Fordingbridge Business  Park,

Ashford Rd, Fordingbridge, Hants  SP6 1BY

T:   01425 651470

 <http://www.barrelltreecare.co.uk/> www.barrelltreecare.co.uk