[CANUFNET] Utilizing Urban Wood

Pat Lintaman pat at topnotchlog.com
Tue Mar 11 11:43:38 EDT 2014

Hi Richard,

There are hand-held metal detectors. ( one reference www.detectmetal.com )

During falling and bucking , protective clothing and face shields are worn.

When sawmilling , we sometimes do a second scan with a handheld metal
detector . When milling with the smaller portable bandsaw mills , hitting
metal is less devastating as a replacement blade is about $40.00 and damaged
ones can usually be repaired.

Nails, bullets, staples , fence wires are softer than the sawteeth , so
usually the problem is bent or distorted teeth. Hardened steel (like files)
or rocks are a bigger concern.

Good luck with your career.

Our project seeks to integrate urban wood and grow trees that serve
aesthetically, for shade, and end up as a high value resource.

Pat Lintaman

Pat Lintaman Design Ltd.

(250) 478-0795

(250) 478-4453 fax