[CANUFNET] Looking for tree/green advocates around Goderich, Ontario

Ward29 Trees moretrees29 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 16:51:41 EST 2014

I recently met a designer who is working on a small development project in
Goderich. She is frustrated because local authorities insist she include 5
new parking spaces, requiring removal of trees and paving of currently
permeable surface. Apparently that is far more parking capacity than the
owner or tenants require. (She is converting a historic building into 3
units, 2 of which will be rented by seniors. The owners, who will live in
the 3rd unit, want to grow edibles exactly where the Town wants them to
build parking spots.)

I suggested that this lady try contacting the local conservation authority
for support, as they should care about stormwater management. I also
directed her to the website for Goderich Trees, a group that (ironically)
came together to restore tree canopy after a bad tornado. Any other ideas?

I suspect the town's love of private parking spaces is related to their
bylaw that prohibits on-street parking in winter.

Leigh Davidson
Volunteer co-chair, MoreTrees29 [Toronto]
Web MoreTrees29.com