[CANUFNET] Compensation for removal of municipally-owned trees

Brian Geerts GeertsB at cambridge.ca
Fri Jan 23 08:51:12 EST 2015

City of Cambridge, ON

Our City tree bylaw 71-06 has the following clause:

6. Where the removal of a live and healthy tree is requested for the purpose of providing
an entrance to private property, for the protection of buildings, or where such removal
is requested for the preservation or construction of a utility, the person or corporation
requesting such removal shall:
(a) Pay all costs and expenses incurred in such removal; and
(b) Pay to the Municipality as compensation for the tree to be removed an amount
equal to the value thereof in accordance with the most recent shade tree
valuation formula as set out by the International Society of Arboriculture.

It isn't always successful getting compensation, as the valuation can sometimes be quite high.  We apply the valuation using trunk formula, by the book.

Brian Geerts
Manager of Forestry & Horticulture