[CANUFNET] Compensation for removal of municipally-owned trees

Alan Kemp Alan.Kemp at nanaimo.ca
Thu Jan 22 19:03:33 EST 2015

Yes we do.

If for some reason municipally owned trees are removed for development on private lands, we definitely seek compensation. This may be through several avenues, depending on the location of the municipal trees, the size and species and designation, such as heritage. In general terms there is a ratio such as 1 - 1, 2 - 1, et cetera which increases with size ( dbh ). If it is a significant tree by our Bylaw definition that cannot be protected, then there may be a monetary value placed on the tree if a replanting plan cannot be accommodated. In that case we would / could use the Trunk Formulae method.

The removal of street trees is the simplest, the developer has to provide a compensatory landscape plan that will off-set any loss.

All is supported through our Maintenance and Protection of Trees Bylaw and Zoning Bylaw.

cheers

Alan Kemp
Urban Forestry Coordinator
Certified Arborist, Certified Tree Risk Assessor
Community Development
City of Nanaimo
250 755 4460 (local 4357)
alan.kemp at nanaimo.ca