[CANUFNET] spiral pruning

Craig Bench cbench at cnv.org
Mon May 11 14:12:39 EDT 2015

Hi Emily,

Spiral Pruning mature Conifers after the first report of limb drop is hard to justify based on the excellent comments below. Our approach has been to first safety prune the tree and monitor branch loss after High Wind events. Targeting the longest branches and selectively reducing the branch length has been very successful over the past 2-3 years in reassuring residents that the pruning works. Have a read through the document below which has been a valuable guideline for assessing and determining pruning for Mature Conifers that is more successful than Spiral Pruning.

http://www.isa-arbor.com/events/conference/proceedings/2013/DANKERS_Conifer_Care_Guidelines_2013.pdf

Thanks,
Craig Bench
Urban Forestry Technician
t: 604.998.3291 | e: cbench at cnv.org<mailto:cbench at cnv.org>

City of North Vancouver
141 West 14th Street, North Vancouver, BC  V7M 1H9