[CANUFNET] spiral pruning

Jeremy Gye jgye at shaw.ca
Mon May 11 14:22:07 EDT 2015

Well, just to “put the fox amongst the chickens”, here us how we approach
this issue.  We do not support “spiral pruning” for the reasons given by
Julian.  Whether a stand-alone conifer or a ‘new forest-edge’ condition, if
the tree is judged to be an important tree to retain, but considered at risk
of windthrow, we generally advocate a very modest reduction in the height of
the tree.  This typically translates into nothing larger than a 4 – 5”
pruning cut and the removal of 5 – 10’ of the leader.  We make it clear to
our clients that the tree is now classified as a “managed tree” that will
require periodic aerial inspection and maintenance.  For instance, it is
beneficial to return to the tree 3 – 5 years later to simplify the new
leaders that typically form from the branches arising beneath the pruning
wound to a single leader.

We find that this approach provides the maximum amount of stability with the
least amount of damage to the tree and its SULE.  The procedure is gentle
enough not to subvert the tree’s natural response to high, gusty wind
events, which to fare-back in the stem, branches, twigs and leaves as a unit
to reduce the overall windage of the tree.  The procedure reduces the
opportunity for wind to enter and windmill within the interior of the
canopy, which tends to flex limbs in directions they are not adapted to and
causing unnecessary limb failure, as Julian notes.

This approach is to be distinguished from the practice of “topping” in the
following respects:

}  “Topping” typically removes 25 – 50% of the canopy of a tree, and the
most photosynthetically productive fraction at that;  depending upon the
live-crown ratio we confront, our procedure removes approximately 5 – 10%.

}  “Topping” results in a large topping wound that is generally to large to
compartmentalize effectively; our procedure does not.

}  “Topping” triggers a stress response in the tree, as it attempts to
replace the large amount of canopy lost.  This draws down the photosynthate
reserves in the tree and results in the development of overly-vigorous
leaders with weaker wood strength.

We have been fortunate to have had a case study to field test this procedure
at a landscape scale along the shoreline of one of Vancouver Island’s
windiest lakes.  A Riparian strip of second or third-growth Douglas Fir
forest 15 – 20m wide and several kilometres long was left standing on the
lower slope of the lake.  Recreational lots were created along the length of
the site, with building sites placed within falling distance of the remnant
forest trees (against our advice).  We have been observing the site for six
years since the initial tree management.  In six years, there have been two
failures of the several hundred modified edge-trees, both along the water’s
edge and compounded by an increase in the lake level.  In contrast, 11 trees
in an unmanaged/undeveloped section of the site with fewer than 100 trees
failed during an extreme wind event.

I appreciate that this kind of approach would be difficult to sell in a
municipal setting, given the orthodoxy within the arboricultural community
against topping, however defined.  Still, it as an evidence-based approach,
we consider it defensible and welcome comment on its merits or deficiencies.
Let the games commence J.

Best regards,

Jeremy Gye

President and Senior Consultant