[CANUFNET] Bartlett Tree Research Facility - Suspended Pavement Systems

James Urban urbantree at toad.net
Fri Jan 8 08:46:18 EST 2016

Emily:  I assisted Tom Smiley in the designed the Bartlett study.  Each treatment plot has a treatment zone 61 inch square X 21.5 inches deep. Within the treatment zone each option had to set its structure and soils.  Each plot was surrounded with  a plywood frame and sealed with permeable filter cloth.  3 inches of gravel was placed below the treatment zone with a drain line.  2 inches of concrete was placed on top of the treatment zone.  Drip irrigation was added to the top of the soil controlled by a moisture sensor.  All treatment plots got the same amount of irrigation water based on when the driest treatment required water.

It was not intended that roots get out of the treatment zone.  We wanted to see how each treatment performed without any outside influences.  The intent of the study is to continue for as long as some of the trees are still growing.  Once it is clear that the best treatment has grown to the greatest extent possible in the study we plan on removing them to study amount of root growth and root architecture, changes to soil conditions, dry root and top weight.

At the current time there is no formal report as this is just the first years data collection.

NOTE NEW EMAIL BELOW
Jim Urban, FASLA / Urban Trees + Soils
915 Creek Drive / Annapolis, Maryland 21403
Cell	410 693 9053     Office 410 263 4838
jimtree123 at gmail.com
http://www.jamesurban.net