[CANUFNET] Sourcing Nursery Stock

Ken Snowden KSnowden at abbotsford.ca
Mon Feb 29 11:38:40 EST 2016

Good morning,

Prior to my employment here, I worked for a municipality that produced its own nursery stock.   As an internal contract grower, we were able to ensure quality stock as well as species selection we forecast to provide diversity within our urban forest.  Unfortunately, labor cost, as well as  rising real estate values became difficult to defend when presenting unit costing to council.   They have since sold the land and no longer produce their own plant material.

Currently, we purchase our stock from local growers.   We require trees to be in accordance with the Canadian Standards for Nursery Stock as well as the BC Landscape Standard (2012) Section 9.2 which (to avoid copyright issues) summarizes;

·         True to type (dominant, central or diffuse balanced depending on species)

·         Straight sturdy trunks

·         Well branched and balanced heads radially and vertically

·         Branching height specified to bear a relationship to size and type of tree

·         Free of pests and defects (including sunscald)

·         Rootballs must be sufficient width and depth for caliper of tree

·         Vigorous fibrous root systems

·         Free of girdling roots

If these characteristics are present upon delivery, we have no objection and will accept the plant material.  We recognize that not all trees grow equally and are individualistic.  Thus, you will find variance which you must accept.

We will at times, if seeking a specimen tree for a specific location or a unique attribute, individually seek out the tree.   I used to go to nurseries to physically select and tag trees for purchase.  This can be difficult for two reasons.  Firstly, when looking for hundreds of trees, it can be time consuming.  Secondly, nurserymen do not appreciate, as I found out, when you select random trees throughout their nursery row.   By creating a good working relationship with your local nurserymen, spelling out what your require and what you will reject, they will realize that providing material that is substandard will only cost them money on the backend.    Most of the nurseries we work with are within the lower mainland of British Columbia and are within a thirty minute drive time.

Finally, I ask all municipal tree buyers to be diligent in ensuring we continue to educate growers as to what we require.  They will ship poor quality material if we accept it.   We, as a group, have the ability to motivate growers to practice best management practices.  Remember, there is no substitute for quality stock.

Hope this helps…

Ken Snowden
Urban Forester
Parks, Recreation & Culture