[CANUFNET] Sourcing Nursery Stock

Meagan Hanna, Miss meagan.hanna at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Mar 2 06:28:55 EST 2016

Hi Crispin!

Long time no see. I speak for but one of 19 boroughs in Montreal, Quebec, but I'd be more than happy to share our experiences with you.

My sector, along with 8 other boroughs from Montreal's pre-merger days, have a production arrangement with our own municipally-run nursery. We have a production quota of 330 caliper trees/year financed by the borough and produced by the nursery. We are exploring container and bareroot stock with our nursery as well but the majority of material ordered is b&b. I could say a little bit more, but why not let the crew there speak for themselves. Here are two videos about our beloved tree farm, established in 1948 :

http://montrealgazette.com/news/planning-planting-sapling-montreals-trees-get-their-start-at-lassomption-nursery (English)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99I07OldQcE (French with English subtitles)

Now, as with any other large city, things are not as simple. Our city has the objective to plant 70 000 additional trees (above our quotas) within 10 years as part of the City of Montreal's Canopy Action Plan. In order to keep up, boroughs must keep planting their quotas and supplement the balance with planting/supply contracts. We have been dealing with Emerald ash borer and massive removals in Southern Quebec at the same time. So we have that to manage as well.

In our borough, we do most of the planting in-house with our crews. So we will put out contracts for the supply of extra caliper trees.  All of our Capital Works projects that involve landscaping and tree planting are contracted out as well. We try to source locally as much as we can but when just one city in our area is planting over 7000 trees a year (not counting all of the other cities around us), we do have to make choices, it's part of the challenges of this industry.

When we go out to contract, we produce specifications stipulating pretty much all of the criteria that Ken mentioned. In Quebec, we follow the provincial standard NQ0605-300 on Nursery Products and Sod which can be downloaded for free here : http://www.bnq.qc.ca/fr/normalisation/horticulture/produits-de-pepinieres-et-de-gazon.html . The standards are in French only.

I have started meeting with a few local nurseries to share our objectives, needs and conditions with them. That way, they know what we're looking for and they can prepare as they see fit. As for calls for bids, all of that goes through procurement and everyone has the opportunity to bid. As a result, the law of the lowest bidder still reigns supreme. This can be a challenge sometimes. At this stage in the game, with trees being sold left and right and center, it's important to build relationships while simultaneously respecting the tendering and contracting process.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

All the best,

Meg

Meagan Hanna, MA.
meagan.hanna at mail.mcgill.ca