[CANUFNET] managing forest health in urban natural areas

Chan, Nadia NChan at surrey.ca
Tue Apr 12 13:31:22 EDT 2016

Good morning,

The City of Surrey is currently managing tree risk in forested parks for naturally occurring forest pathogens such as Phellinus sulphurascens and Phaeolus schweinitzii. In some parks the disease is being managed to prevent the spread from an infected area of the forest into healthy stands by creating containment buffers. In other park areas the trees are being managed for risk to infrastructure (ex. roads, houses, trails sports fields). In addition to forest pathogens, the City is actively managing an outbreak of Douglas-fir bark beetle in a few remnant forest stands.

I would like to know if any other municipality has a forest disease/pest program that would be willing to share. In particular, I'm interested in how frequently risk assessments are completed and how trees with known forest health concerns are being assessed (if differently from TRAQ/TRACE)

Thanks very much,
Nadia

NADIA CHAN | NATURAL AREAS COORDINATOR

CITY OF SURREY
Urban Forestry and Environmental Programs
6651 148 St, Surrey, BC, Canada V3S 3C7
T 604.501.5167<tel:604.501.5167> | F 604.501.5177<tel:604.501.5177> | www.surrey.ca<http://www.surrey.ca/>