[CANUFNET] Urban tree mortality rate

Julian Dunster jadunster at gmail.com
Tue May 24 12:15:45 EDT 2016

I suspect mortality varies by region. At the first or second Urban Forestry
conference (now a long time back) there was a paper delivered that showed 7
years as the typical life expectancy for street trees in Canada. The number
stuck with many of us simply because it was so small. But, it is likely a
lot longer on the west coast than the east coast or even interior Canada
regions simply due to differences in winter / summer weather. With climate
change all bets are off. The west coast continues to suffer drought
conditions in the summer - I think this is the 7th or 8th year now and
mortality rates are high in street and native trees as a result.

Replacement numbers are very variable. With luck it would be at least one
for one, often 2 or 3 for every tree removed but that depends on the agency
involved, the reasons for removal, private vs city land etc. 'Not enough'
is probably the most likely de facto standards now in play, although the
numbers planted are usually not of much use anyway. How many actually
survive and get established, and how many are maintained would be a far
more useful metric. Again, the answer is almost certainly 'not enough.'

 jd

--
On Behalf of Dunster & Associates Environmental Consultants Ltd.

Dr. Julian A. Dunster R.P.F., R.P.P., ISA Certified Arborist,
ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist,
PNWISA Certified Tree Risk Assessor #1.
ISA Tree Risk Assessor Qualified.

Honourary Life Member International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) and
PNWISA

North American Distributor for Rinntech
Canadian distributor for Air Spade

email: jadunster at gmail.com