[CANUFNET] Oak tree top dieback

shawnriberdy at yahoo.ca shawnriberdy at yahoo.ca
Sun May 29 23:23:57 EDT 2016

Hi everyone

I'm visiting family in Windsor Ontario and my aunt has a  Quuercus robur 'Fastigiata' The top is dead from the top to about one meter from the ground.  The tree did non leaf out this spring except for the bottom meter of the tree. I know the weather  has been wet in the summer in the Windsor area the last few summers. I believe it is anthracnose or oak wilt. It looks like anthracnose but not sure if the disease would cause 80% of the tree to die. I suggested to prune the dead out and let the tree grow from the base but if it is oak wilt I don't want it to spread to there other oaks. Has anyone else had this problem in the area from the wet weather. Or dose anyone know what we are dealing with. The picture is a few leaves from the part of the tree That did leaf out this year and the disease is only on about 10 % of what is left alive.