[CANUFNET] Urban tree mortality rate

Amelia Needoba amelia at diamondheadconsulting.com
Thu May 26 18:32:11 EDT 2016

Hi Elaine and Ann Marie,

Ann Marie...
There is research work out there on regionally, species and age specific
mortality rates for street trees. For example:
Richards, 1979
http://joa.isa-arbor.com/request.asp?JournalID=1&ArticleID=1612&Type=2
Nowak, 1990 http://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/jrnl/1990/ne_1990_nowak_001.pdf
Roman and Scatena, 2011
http://www.actrees.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/roman-scatena-2011-street-tree-mortality.pdf

Richards proposed a rule-of-thumb to achieve population stability for
'adapted, long-lived species' (in Syracuse, NY) by managing age diversity
in the population so that: 40% of trees under 20 cm dbh, 30% 20 - 40-cm
trees in early functional stage, 20% 40-60- cm functionally mature trees,
and 10% older trees with most of their functional live behind them
(Richards, 1982/83 Urban Ecology, 7, 159-171).

Elaine...
In terms of tree appraisals related to their amenity contribution, you've
probably already been pointed towards the CTLA tree appraisal system
https://www.asla.org/land/LandArticle.aspx?id=30959

There are also some other methods. For example, the City of Melbourne in
Australia uses an adapted Burnley method to assess tree amenity value (see
attached and
http://www.croydonconservation.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Burnley-method-Tree-value-pdf..pdf)
and adds the iTree calculated ecosystem services value on top .

Are those the kind of appraisals you are looking for or are you wanting to
assess actual biomass for replacement?

Best Regards,
Amelia.

--

*Amelia Needoba*
3551 Commercial Street | Vancouver | V5N 4E8