[CANUFNET] Tree Removal Letter

Tim Yeaman TYeaman at cityofnb.ca
Mon Jul 25 10:38:04 EDT 2016

Good morning everyone,

So I have a letter that we use when we are in an area doing block pruning.  I try and give the residents as much notice as possible so that we accommodate them but they also work with us to accommodate the work needing to be done.  In the past we would just go in to an area and set up without any notice and try to get the work done.  We switched this practice about a year ago as I realized there is much needed value in maintaining our relationship with the public and keeping them in the know.  This process has gone a long ways in dealing with complaints, irate taxpayers and inconveniencing those homeowners who are affected, and to top it off we are much more productive today because we seem to have a better perception of the work we do when the public are on our side.

As far as tree removal – we try to work with the public when we are taking down a boulevard tree, especially when that tree impacts the resident of that home.  We are not always successful in informing all homeowners as we have many rental properties in the city that are owned by investors outside our province.  So in these cases sending a letter is not always convenient.  Unfortunately not every situation warrants a letter either – some take downs have to be dealt with immediately due to the risk assessment provided at that time.  Moving forward we have now completed an entire tree inventory of our city boulevards and with this inventory we will be conducting full tree assessments on particular trees such as Birch, Schubert and Poplar at this time.  These are the trees demanding much of our attention these days due to Birch Leafminer, Borer and Black Knot/Gummosis  - these trees are the most likely to fail, are in severe decline or have outlived themselves.  From the information we gather I am hoping to provide clearer direction to the staff as to their priorities and to be able to provide the homeowner with some indication of our plans moving forward when we do come in to complete tree removals.   So once I have an opportunity to look at devising a letter I would be more than glad to provide that.  I would also love to see what letters other communities are using when dealing with these situations.

At this time honesty is the best possible when dealing with the public and our trees.  Working on bettering our relationship with them, keeping them informed while still following the 3-D’s of Tree Removal – Dead, Diseased or Dangerous.  You can only win some of the battles and with those we can’t we do the best we can to continue educating and informing.

All the best to all of you – Tree Business can be hard but also worthwhile!

Timothy G. Yeaman
Operations Foreman Forestry
City of North Battleford
tyeaman at cityofnb.ca<mailto:tyeaman at cityofnb.ca>