[CANUFNET] Impacts of private tree protection bylaws on canopy cover

Amber Cantell amber at reforestlondon.ca
Fri Aug 19 10:25:29 EDT 2016

Good morning everyone,

The City of London has recently tabled a private tree protection bylaw
which will provide additional protection for trees > 75cm DBH, and I am
interested in better understanding how effective such a bylaw is likely to
be in terms of improving canopy cover, as, on the one hand, we'll
presumably see reduced cutting of large trees (and guaranteed replacement
when they come down) but may see reduced planting in other yards if
residents don't want to "tie up" their land (something we often find is a
major hurdle with some industrial landowners).

I know that many other communities have private tree bylaws, but I haven't
yet seen any research assessing their overall impacts on canopy cover.
Would anyone out there be aware of research along these lines, or, for
those municipalities with private tree bylaws, have any of you actively
monitored the impact on cutting vs. planting rates on residential lands
following the implementation of the bylaw?

Many thanks!
Amber