[CANUFNET] tree protection

Hamilton, Emily via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Tue Jan 17 13:35:51 EST 2017

Hello all, re: Robert,

Naomi is right that a Bylaw's strength lies in how well it can be enforced. Enforceability seems to be best achieved when you have all the tools in your belt because you never know what will work best in each scenario (I'm writing from City of Surrey, Trees and Landscape with Steve and Nadia). Starting big with enforcement and pulling back is often a good tactic as well. So, if you have something built into the system where you can 1) delay the project through stop-work or stop-inspections, 2) withhold securities (ie - all landscape securities will be held until this one tree issue is addressed; or - bonding will not be released for an additional 2 years until we are sure the tree has survived or recovered from an undetermined degree of damage), 3) impose fines, and 4) require replacement trees or mitigation requirements, etc. then you can apply as many as seem appropriate and pull back as a concession.

As to the collaboration issue - yes, the more teams, departments, disciplines on board the better. On our team, we check that subsurface elements, such as drainage, structural soil, etc. are also coordinated on Civil Plans. This is important, depending on how business is conducted in your community, but often the bid packages are based on Civil drawings and not all of the Landscape Plans are included at that stage. If structural soil is not on the Civil plans (and therefore not in the bid package), it likely won't be budgeted for by the builder and difficult to have installed. Generally, understanding what the other teams do and how everyone can collaborate and support each other also strengthens each team's Bylaw.

And finally, winning small wins at the beginning, rather than going for the grand slam, helps build strength to support the Bylaw over time. As you build more precedent setting examples and test the waters (how will Council support the work?, what staffing and budget is needed to carry it out?, what responses to the public are most successful?, what fee/security amounts work without killing the whole process?, etc.), the Bylaw will build strength and anything that is missing will come to light for the next revision.

Regards,
Emily
Emily Hamilton | Environmental Technician - Arboriculture

CITY OF SURREY
Trees and Landscape Section, Building Division - Planning and Development
13450 104th Ave, Surrey, BC, Canada V3T 1V8
T 604.591.4560 www.surrey.ca/treeprotection<www.surrey.ca>